The LA Dodgers are busy battling for every score during the world series and as huge fans we notice they have a lot in common with how we train our security team. So here’s a few tips on training your staff on securing your business using tried and true World Series methods.
- Identify the strengths and the weaknesses of your physical location. When the team is training in a new space the layout of the field changes the best way to defend it. This is the same as we do when we physically inspect business parameters & entries to determine any vulnerabilities. Make sure you do the same.
- Identify the strengths & weaknesses of your staff. Not everyone has the same qualities and it is important to make sure your team is balanced with members who compliment the skills required to secure your business. Don’t simply evaluate the physical strength of your team. Include employees’ problem solving skills, which can make a big difference when trying to target a ball or identify safe solutions.
- Document unusual activities and review regularly it with your team. Often before something happens there is someone who notices something is “off”, from a car in the wrong place to a transient who is moving into your space. A smart team heads everyone up on noticeable changes to the players and how it may affect your security.
- Plan ahead. Waiting for a security breach to happen is like going to the series without training your team on “What if” contingencies. Every team that makes the series spends most of their time reviewing and having a plan on how to handle any scenario.
- Don’t try to handle it all yourself—that is not a team. Grandstanders often blow the game. Teamwork is best. Our security company has a strong relationship with the Police Departments. For legal & safety reasons, we plan on when to intervene and we empower our team to know when to call in the Police. Don’t ask your team to take unnecessary personal risks for your business or your customers.
South Bay Security is the local security authority of the South Bay, providing patrolling, security and safety programs for residents and businesses in cities from El Segundo to Long Beach. Their experience has helped their staff diffuse many difficult security situations. They specialize in protecting their clients’ properties, while upholding the respect and dignity of their clients and their employees, as well as the public. For more information on their mobile security or full service, contact them at 310-539-3505 or by email. Set up a time to review your security needs and address concerns. South Bay Security is located in the Rolling Hills Plaza where they also provide the security, as well as at many other South Bay locations. Visit their website at: southbaysecurity.com .